workplace accident on Aug 1, 2013. A worker was killed when one of the poles for a tent being set up struck an electrical service line and sent electrical current travelling down the pole to the ground, which was saturated with rain. Six workers were setting up the tent for a wedding near Watford on Aug. 1, 2013, when the incident occurred. All were seasonal workers under the age of 25. The worker was electrocuted while the other five workers suffered injuries including burns and dislocations. The Ministry of Labour found none of the workers had safety training and none had training regarding recognizing and dealing with hazards like overhead power lines. In addition, the Ministry of Labour found that there was no hazard assessment completed at the work area ahead of the event or asked for information about the location of utilities. The company pleaded guilty to failing to ensure the health and safety of workers was protected and to failing to provide adequate information and instruction to workers about the hazards of overhead wires as required under the Occupational Health and Safety Act. In London on Tuesday February 3, 2015, Justice of the Peace, Kristine M. Diaz fined the company $100,000.00 in addition a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge. The company has two years to pay the fine.Ontario’s Ministry of Labour has fined a company in London, Ontario $100,000.00, in connection with the death of a young worker as a result of a
What are your thoughts?